By Combined Jewish Philanthropies
We are seeing a disturbing rise in antisemitism across our school campuses in Massachusetts. These are only a few recent examples of how these events have impacted Jewish students on campuses across the commonwealth.
Recent antisemitic incidents on Massachusetts college campuses
University of Massachusetts – Amherst: UMass Amherst student arrested for allegedly punching Jewish student and spitting on Israeli flag
Wellesley College: Wellesley College under federal investigation for alleged antisemitism
Toolkits and resources to respond to Jewish hate
- Report Campus Hate. This organization was created by Hillel International, the Anti-Defamation League and the Secure Community Network to empower Jewish students to address growing antisemitism on college campuses. Any incident reported through the website or phone is reviewed by a trained security professional who will work with law enforcement and the campus Hillel to file a report with the university, ensuring the proper tracking of antisemitic crimes. Additionally, students can be connected to wellness services, as well as tools and resources to help improve campus climates.
- Reach out to CALL, the Campus Antisemitism Legal Line. It is staffed by a team of volunteer lawyers and overseen by Hillel International, the Anti-Defamation League, the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights Under Law and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. Students, parents, faculty members and staff can report an incident online or by texting “CALLhelp” to 51555.
- Visit the AMCHA Initiative, a nonprofit organization dedicated to investigating, documenting, educating about and combating antisemitism at institutions of higher education in America. Its comprehensive database of antisemitic activity on U.S. college and university campuses is available here.
- Use the IAC’s Israel-Hamas war activism toolkit to be informed to stand up on campus.
- Use this Student Action Plan toolkit from AJC and share this toolkit for university administrators with your schools.
- Keep visiting the College Students resources page on FaceJewishHate.org for new tools and action steps on how you can address this surge of harassment, vandalism and violence against Jewish students.